Thursday, June 7, 2012

Loads of Homework for Gabe

I have decided to enroll in a program called Portage for Gabe as i feel that i am somewhat lost in terms of what to teach him first and how best to guide him. I believe that special kids need extra attention and perhaps a little special method of learning. So, we attended Portage. Basically once a month, i meet up with an instructor who will guide me and tell me what to teach Gabe, based on certain categories, eg Socialization, Language, Cognitive, etc. So every month, Gabe and I will need to practice at home, one or two lessons from these categories and meet with our instructor each month for a progress update. And we have a method of keeping track of all his achievements...i feel so much better knowing there's help like this.

On top of that, he's going to Gymboree every Saturday so that's a good chance for him to meet new friends and good for me too...and Gabe seems to enjoy the classes so much.

I just hope that with all these interventions he'll be able to progress on track and not be to far behind.

But you know, i couldn't have done all this without the help of some people around me. I met a new friend, Mika Yukov, who was the President of the Setagaya special kids center. I tell you, Thank God, for her. She has helped me so much, giving all the information i need, and more importantly, being a true friend in times of need. She has so kindly offered to go with me to Portage classes each month to be my translator...she didn't need to, and yet she so generously found the time to do this. She has given me so many important advise and information. It's unbelievable sometimes things people do to help others.

Mika, if you read this someday, know that I am eternally grateful for your help. Thank you for being such a good friend. God bless you.







Rascal rummaging thru my bag while waiting for Portage class




Ohh yes,the other day, Gabe was being difficult, not wanting to sleep and making a hoot of noise, so i decided to call time out and let him yell his head off in his crib..while i sat far away surfing the net...here he is, can u spot him??? Kept staring at me and calling me..ignored him..


No comments:

Post a Comment