Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Sleep Aides

For a long time, Gabe was a poor sleeper, seriously. Nap times were 20minutes at most, unless he slept on my chest. Night times were testing to the extent I cried at his crib side while trying to lull him to sleep. I prayed so hard that I wouldn`t have this problem with Lucas. I just couldn`t imagine going through that again and start hating motherhood.

So this time round, i broke all rules. I brought bought all the BIG GUNS.....sleep aides as many call them. Yup, i needed help and desperately. You see, Lucas didn`t like the Combi cradle we had and didn`t nap long enough for me to much. And night times, it took up to 2.5hours of patting, rocking and singing. I was seriously getting depressed.

So i read this blog, troublesometots, and thought I`d give it a try since she really swears by her methods. So, what did i do?

1) Fisher Price Cradle Swing
My hesitation to get this wasn`t due to the price. At about USD130, it`s not too expensive. Rather, it was due to the fact that you can`t use it long, only up to 11.3kg, so that`s maybe till baby is 7-8 months. But, like i said, desperate enough, i took the chance, even knowing that maybe Lucas wouldn`t like it, then it`d be a waste of money. The swing arrived yesterday evening and this morning i tried it....perhaps it`s too soon, and he needs to get used to it, but he did nap in it for 1hour plus, which is i think good. I`m hoping he can soon nap for 2 hours in it...wishful thinking.

The swing has many songs and nature tunes and 6 speeds to choose from. And, the plush material is so comfy especially in the winter.
Let`s see how he does in it over the next few days.



2) White Noise
I seriously didn`t believe in this one, i thought baby music was better. But after reading the blog, and comments from other moms, i thought why not. So i downloaded an app on my iphone and tried. First night, i thought it didn`t really work. 2nd night onwards, i saw a huge improvement, he slept better and longer. And honestly, i slept better too hearing the sound. Only thing is, i think it`s not to good to use it on a phone...radiation ....


3) Pacifier
I`ve heard how many people do not want to use the pacifier because they are afraid that the baby will still be sucking on it into toddler years. And Gabe didn`t take to the pacifier, so i didn`t have that problem...come Lucas, i needed all the help i can, so i gave it to him in his first week. Obviously then, it kept dropping out, but when it did stay in his mouth, i can say it helped alot...and now, nap times, i use it to calm him...big big help...gonna keep using this till i wean him off it maybe by 1 year old...


So, having so many aides, i worry that it`ll be hard to wean him off any if these, especially the cradle to crib situation...but, having have 2 kids to take care of, and my sanity to maintain, i can`t think of months down the road...i have to think of NOW. And NOW means having all these...weaning LATER....

So, wish me luck and keep your fingers crossed that after using all these, i`ll have a super sleeper in Lucas....

No comments:

Post a Comment