Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Lucas` 1st Day At Japanese Kindy

Big change for Lucas. New environment and new language. He`s been attending an English preschool since he was 18months old and he rocked it in class because his main mother tongue is English at home. Come this April, he`s been thrown into a totally foreign language and school. He kept telling me he didn`t want to go to Japanese school because he wouldn`t understand what teacher was saying.

I kept telling him don`t worry, you`re so clever you will learn so so fast and know 2 languages. Still, the boy was scared, very scared and today as i dropped him off for 1st day at kindy, he pinched my arms so hard trying to hold me it`s bruised now and still stinging.

I`m sure he`ll adjust in no time, but i still can`t help but feel worried for him.

Here In Japan, kindergarten is a very very very time consuming period for mothers. There are tons of PTAs and meetings, and mummy involvement in school events and much more ours as it is a very small kindy with a total of like 40 students. Every month i am confirmed to have at least 1 PTA meeting, more when it is an important month. Gulp..........

And, it is not uncommon to see mummies frantically making kindergarten bags. Yup, many make them, in some schools, it is COMPULSARY. I can`t sew, i really can`t. The most is i can sew a button on. Sewing machine, worst still, it`s like foreign to me. So, when i got the details from the kindy, i had to make 5 bags.

Main bag
Skipping Rope bag
Blocks Bag
Indoor shoes bag
Dirty clothes bag

I did contemplate asking people to make it for me, but i thought, heck, maybe i should just try to make them and in the end if i fail miserably, I`ll just get someone to make it for me. So yeah, i found a teacher and signed up for 4 2-hour session classes. Costs me JPY 22,500. Not cheap at all, plus my fabrics alone cost me JPY 10,000.

In the end i managed to finish all 5 bags in the classes and I`m glad that i made the effort to at least try. The details are not pretty eg some of my lines aren`t straight and the ends are messy, but still I feel i`ve accomplished at least something for Lucas.


And, and and....we mustn`t forget his precious Pikachu indoor shoes. How lovely are these?

And Lucas has his own school uniform so i don`t have to worry about choosing clothes for him. I htink baby looks super cute in his uniform with the hat and bag.


I`m sure you`ll do well Lucas, you always try your best to learn new things, you just need time. Mummy loves you & I`m so proud of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment