Gabe's surgery went well.Dr M finished the op at about 1.30pm.He told us that the left shunt has good flow and Gabe's oxygen rate is at about 80+% which is a huge improvement.
However,there seems to be some bleeding from his airways and when we saw him at about 2pm Dr M said that e oxy level came down to 75% due to the bleeding. Yes we were very very worried as this meant the lung may have some problems. However at this point they cannot pin point the cause. So Gabe was given some med n we will need to wait for few hours to monitor. Poor Gabe,like as though he hasn't been through enough.
We decided to wait in the hospital till 5.30pm where they will let us see Gabe again. This evening the doc showed us his chest xrays n it seems that Gabe's lungs are clearing up. Very good sign. So relieved but still abit of bleeding. Oxy levels are at about 87-90% from what I saw while in the icu..good stats. Also face color seems better, pinky hues. Now we xan only wait and see when he will be taken off the ventilator. Praying his stats remain stable then
Feels like I've been through a very long rollercoaster ride.everything seemed to have happened so fast n sudden. Still kicking myself for not noticing his color change, when all the doctors seem to hv noticed it right away. I'm such a horrid mum, so sorry baby..
But Gabe..what can I say, he's such a strong and brave baby. I am so proud of u baby and I honestly couldn't ask for a sweeter baby. Love u so so much I can't imagine a life without u by my side.
Mummy can't wait to hold u...til then rest well n get well
Sunday, February 5, 2012
Saturday, February 4, 2012
The Day Before
Gabe's operation is tomorrow and we were briefed by his surgeon Dr Murakami this morning. It's going to be another shunt insertion, this time to his left side of the heart and they will make a cut near his armpits instead of the middle.
We are praying there will be no need for an emergency cardiac bypass machine to be used, as that will require a drug called Hepparin and due to Gabe's bloody stool previously, it could cause uncontrollable bleeding. The surgery will start about 9am and take about 3-4 hours. Thereafter Gabe will stay in the PICU for the next 4-5 days and if all is well he can be transferred to the General Ward and then be released to go home in about 1-1.5 weeks.
Of course like the op before there are risks but we're praying no complications. Please let it be a smaooth op. We're feeling nervous of course. It's a case of De Ja Vu all over again. Previously i remember being a total wreck when his operation went way beyond the supposedly 4-5 hours time mark and took 8 long hours instead...i'm hoping this round it's a 3-4 hours good op.
I did manage to take a few pics of him in the PICU today...pls continue your prayers for GAbe and i'll update once again after his op...


We are praying there will be no need for an emergency cardiac bypass machine to be used, as that will require a drug called Hepparin and due to Gabe's bloody stool previously, it could cause uncontrollable bleeding. The surgery will start about 9am and take about 3-4 hours. Thereafter Gabe will stay in the PICU for the next 4-5 days and if all is well he can be transferred to the General Ward and then be released to go home in about 1-1.5 weeks.
Of course like the op before there are risks but we're praying no complications. Please let it be a smaooth op. We're feeling nervous of course. It's a case of De Ja Vu all over again. Previously i remember being a total wreck when his operation went way beyond the supposedly 4-5 hours time mark and took 8 long hours instead...i'm hoping this round it's a 3-4 hours good op.
I did manage to take a few pics of him in the PICU today...pls continue your prayers for GAbe and i'll update once again after his op...
Friday, February 3, 2012
Guilt
I feel guilty...really guilty...i think i am stupid.
The doctors were asking us in the hospital, how come we did not notice a change in his face or lip color. Meaning that from what they see, it is purple/bluish. I told them no i didnt realise it was that obvious.
I mean i saw his lips were a dark redish color, but i thought it was ok..as in normal. But now as i look back at his photos past months, yes it really is very obviously darker...and perhaps that was a sign that i should have noticed his oxy levels were decreasing...and yet as his mum i didn't notice this obvious change..feel like kicking myself hard...how could i not have seen this?
And i still made him do tough tummy time...:(....i'm so sorry baby, forgive Mummy...i promise after ur second op, i wun smack u at all even though you're naughty..and tummy time we'll do few times a week only and shorter..ok? Dun be angry at Mummy.
The doctors were asking us in the hospital, how come we did not notice a change in his face or lip color. Meaning that from what they see, it is purple/bluish. I told them no i didnt realise it was that obvious.
I mean i saw his lips were a dark redish color, but i thought it was ok..as in normal. But now as i look back at his photos past months, yes it really is very obviously darker...and perhaps that was a sign that i should have noticed his oxy levels were decreasing...and yet as his mum i didn't notice this obvious change..feel like kicking myself hard...how could i not have seen this?
And i still made him do tough tummy time...:(....i'm so sorry baby, forgive Mummy...i promise after ur second op, i wun smack u at all even though you're naughty..and tummy time we'll do few times a week only and shorter..ok? Dun be angry at Mummy.
My Shining Star
Even though it's a tough time right now, we're trying to stay strong and optimistic. I still see his lovely smile in my mind every second and his ferocious cries.
So it's only right that i share with you all the lovely photos of him that we took in the studio in Singapore. He's so photogenic and cute...so many expressions:) Melts my heart just seeing these pics
Enjoy!!!



















So it's only right that i share with you all the lovely photos of him that we took in the studio in Singapore. He's so photogenic and cute...so many expressions:) Melts my heart just seeing these pics
Enjoy!!!



















Update
Today we were told that Gabe's oxy level dropped to 70% which worried the docs abit. Therefore they had to increase his oxygen support to 100% and give him nitric gas plus albumin. Gave me a scare when i heard that. Please please remain stable baby, dun scare Mummy like that.
His bloody stool has stopped as of now, we hope it remains that way otherwise they may have to postpone the surgery, in case complications occur during the op. And we still do not know exactly why he has bloody stool. But Dr H did mention that a possibility may be that when they tested his blood, they found that Gabe's red blood concentration was high. This is due to the body's natural reaction to increase red blood cells to bring more oxy to his body. But perhaps there was too much and it had to be expelled. Possible reason, but no confirmation:(
right now, the surgery is scheduled to be on Sunday 5th Feb. We will be briefed by the surgeon tomorrow at 12pm.
Oh baby boy, please stay strong and stable, just awhile more ok..then you'll get better and we can go home.
It's just so hard to see him all hooked up to the tubes and machine again. Especially after having him everyday the past months, seeing his cheerful smiles. Waking up every morning and going to bed every night seeing him not in his crib is heartbreaking and Terry and I both miss him so much.
Such a spirited and happy baby, now lying there without us to hold him...
His bloody stool has stopped as of now, we hope it remains that way otherwise they may have to postpone the surgery, in case complications occur during the op. And we still do not know exactly why he has bloody stool. But Dr H did mention that a possibility may be that when they tested his blood, they found that Gabe's red blood concentration was high. This is due to the body's natural reaction to increase red blood cells to bring more oxy to his body. But perhaps there was too much and it had to be expelled. Possible reason, but no confirmation:(
right now, the surgery is scheduled to be on Sunday 5th Feb. We will be briefed by the surgeon tomorrow at 12pm.
Oh baby boy, please stay strong and stable, just awhile more ok..then you'll get better and we can go home.
It's just so hard to see him all hooked up to the tubes and machine again. Especially after having him everyday the past months, seeing his cheerful smiles. Waking up every morning and going to bed every night seeing him not in his crib is heartbreaking and Terry and I both miss him so much.
Such a spirited and happy baby, now lying there without us to hold him...
Thursday, February 2, 2012
Not a Good Start
We've come back to Tokyo after 2 months in Singapore & KL. But things aren't so good right now. Gabe is in the ICU and is set to remain there for the next 2 weeks or so. Here are the events:
31st Jan
3pm: Gabe has bloody poop. Streaks of it. Am a bit worried but we were about to board the flight.
12am: Reach home, Gabe poops again, i see blood again
1st Feb
10.30am
Arrive at Dr H's clinic for Gabe's check up. While waiting, he pooped again, this time more blood. Dr H happened to pass by and i showed him. Took note of it and checked Gabe's oxy levels...not as good as it should be..reading was 62-64%. It should be in range of 70-75% at least.
Dr H immediately tells us that he feels Gabe should be admitted for further tests for the bloody stool & low oxy levels.
1pm: Checked into the ward, they take blood from him to test for any infections. Proceed to prepare him for the ECG check. Not good, they find that the flow in his shunt is no longer as visible as previous. So they order a CT scan for details.
3.30pm: CT scan is performed, Gabe is given a sedative
5.30pm: Dr H informs us that the shunt has narrowed slightly and to try improve it, Gabe will need to do a Cardiac Catheterization to open up the narrowed part. Devastated even though it's not a surgery. Heart still breaks. Poor Gabe.
6pm: Gabe is prepped and put to sleep.
8.30pm: Dr H is finished and informs us that Gabe is now in the ICU. BUT, the procedure did not increase his oxy levels as much as it should. Therefore, he feels that the shunt is now too small for Gabe who is growing fast. Dr H informs us that it is likely Gabe will need an operation to insert a 2nd shunt...we're stunned though they did tell us of this possibility when he did the 1st op.
9.30pm: go to ICU, lil boy is sedated and hooked up on the ventilator to give him more oxy...they will try to remove it tomorrow and see the levels.
2nd Feb
11am: Arrive at ICU, they informed us that they trid to remove they tube this morning, but Gabe cried and his levels dropped to 60%, they fels it was too risky to remove him and therefore sedated him again and put him back ont he ventilator...we were crushed, thought he'd at least be transferred to normal ward then we could hold and be with him.
Dr H says that they will have a discussion with the surgeon tonight to push his op forward as it is not good to wait another month...we weren't prepared for this...so soon...Gabe has to go thru all that again...
We will be informed of the team's opinion tomorrow morning...
It's not a good start to 2012...to there's nothing we can do, but pray & hope that this lil boy who has come so far, will stay strong and brave.
As for the bloody stool, they got a ped specialist but he could not find any apparent reason for the blood. Gabe's stomach seemed fine. So they are stopping his milk feeds to let his bowel rest. Dr H says it is reasonable to wait a lil further and see. The bacteria results will only be out in 4-5 days time. So meanwhile it's a waiting game...i just pray it's nothing serious.
I will update you all once i get any info...meanwhile keep Gabe in your prayers..
31st Jan
3pm: Gabe has bloody poop. Streaks of it. Am a bit worried but we were about to board the flight.
12am: Reach home, Gabe poops again, i see blood again
1st Feb
10.30am
Arrive at Dr H's clinic for Gabe's check up. While waiting, he pooped again, this time more blood. Dr H happened to pass by and i showed him. Took note of it and checked Gabe's oxy levels...not as good as it should be..reading was 62-64%. It should be in range of 70-75% at least.
Dr H immediately tells us that he feels Gabe should be admitted for further tests for the bloody stool & low oxy levels.
1pm: Checked into the ward, they take blood from him to test for any infections. Proceed to prepare him for the ECG check. Not good, they find that the flow in his shunt is no longer as visible as previous. So they order a CT scan for details.
3.30pm: CT scan is performed, Gabe is given a sedative
5.30pm: Dr H informs us that the shunt has narrowed slightly and to try improve it, Gabe will need to do a Cardiac Catheterization to open up the narrowed part. Devastated even though it's not a surgery. Heart still breaks. Poor Gabe.
6pm: Gabe is prepped and put to sleep.
8.30pm: Dr H is finished and informs us that Gabe is now in the ICU. BUT, the procedure did not increase his oxy levels as much as it should. Therefore, he feels that the shunt is now too small for Gabe who is growing fast. Dr H informs us that it is likely Gabe will need an operation to insert a 2nd shunt...we're stunned though they did tell us of this possibility when he did the 1st op.
9.30pm: go to ICU, lil boy is sedated and hooked up on the ventilator to give him more oxy...they will try to remove it tomorrow and see the levels.
2nd Feb
11am: Arrive at ICU, they informed us that they trid to remove they tube this morning, but Gabe cried and his levels dropped to 60%, they fels it was too risky to remove him and therefore sedated him again and put him back ont he ventilator...we were crushed, thought he'd at least be transferred to normal ward then we could hold and be with him.
Dr H says that they will have a discussion with the surgeon tonight to push his op forward as it is not good to wait another month...we weren't prepared for this...so soon...Gabe has to go thru all that again...
We will be informed of the team's opinion tomorrow morning...
It's not a good start to 2012...to there's nothing we can do, but pray & hope that this lil boy who has come so far, will stay strong and brave.
As for the bloody stool, they got a ped specialist but he could not find any apparent reason for the blood. Gabe's stomach seemed fine. So they are stopping his milk feeds to let his bowel rest. Dr H says it is reasonable to wait a lil further and see. The bacteria results will only be out in 4-5 days time. So meanwhile it's a waiting game...i just pray it's nothing serious.
I will update you all once i get any info...meanwhile keep Gabe in your prayers..
Friday, December 16, 2011
Spoilt Brat
We have been back in Singapore for the past 2 weeks already. Enjoying the heat:(
Gabe has had lots of visitors since. And recently he has turned 6 months! How fast time flies. The lil boy is growing fast and getting chubbier thanks to formula milk. But on the downside, he's beginning to be more of a lil terror too, Grandma can testify to that. He screams almost immediately when being put down to play on his own. In the past i could get him to play for at least 30mins or so, now, not even 10 mins and he starts screaming. Have a feeling he's gonna be a handful next time.
He's had a haircut too, so now his hair looks much neater, not like it kena bombed. And he's been spoilt rotten with many many clothes that Grandma has bought him!! So expensive summore.
Just a few days ago, he went for his therapy assessment and according to the therapist, he needs to be more centered as in his hands and legs need to come more to the center so he can play with toys and have the correct posture. HIs neck also an issue, will need to gain strength. So every week starting next week, he'll be attending a one hour session to start off. So let's hope that he gets help from there.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)